Friday, February 20, 2009

Leaving a blazing trail in Bangkok

In the intense Thailand heat we follow our guide, C, in a neat row on the crowded Bangkok streets. He smiles often, pauses to call out “Momma” over his shoulder. Each time he does it brings out a giggle from us. His “momma,” our Aileen, shouts back that she is just fine. But that never stops him from circling back to make sure that “momma” has not fallen out of step with the group.
Our line would be hard to miss – I’m sure there is a trail of perspiration we weave from our hotel to the sky train all the way to the markets. The water seems to pour out from us to soak our clothing and run down our faces as quickly as we guzzle it from our plastic bottles. I am in desperate need of a diaper. My pants are soaked from perspiration and I am pretty sure along with our trail of perspiration, I have left prints of my derriere all over the city.
The markets are almost overwhelming as we make our way through it. Side by side, row by row unique gifts, clothing, quality handcrafted furniture, paintings, carvings and more are at each turn. You can smell the scent of cooking meat at nearby vendors. The city is alive with sights, sounds, smells and tastes. In fact, I can almost taste the thick humidity. Inside the markets we spilt up and roam leisurely. I climb the tri-level market and explore what I can. Exquisite silks and handcrafted jewelry line tabletops and counter spaces waiting for an owner. I hit the jack pot in the basement though. Unique paintings line a small square room. Bright colors, bold images and minute details capture me. I ask the young woman if she has created the wonderful artwork and she shakes her head. Her sister, who is not present, is the artist behind the masterpieces.
After lunch (old-school cafeteria style complete with karaoke entertainment) we leave the markets, get back on the sky train and head over to MBK mall. The stores are impressive. I have little luck in the clothing departments. I tease C earlier in the day by telling him, “Big Girls Get No Love in Bangkok.” Ha.

No comments: